If you are 55 or older, unemployed and looking to re-enter the workforce, you may qualify for the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP). Programs are administered in the majority of Georgia’s 159 counties as identified in the Directory of Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) Projects.
The SCSEP is a program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor that serves low-income persons who are 55 and older and have poor employment prospects. Eligible individuals are placed in part-time community service positions with a goal of transitioning to unsubsidized employment.
The program serves low-income persons, as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Annual Poverty Guidelines.
SCSEP Program Purpose
- To foster and promote useful part-time opportunities in community service activities for eligible individuals;
- To foster individual economic self-sufficiency;
- To increase the number of older persons who may enjoy the benefits of a regular job after participating in the SCSEP.
Participants must be at least 55, unemployed, and have a family income of no more than 125% of the federal poverty level.
- Participants receive orientation, community service assignments, training opportunities, and supportive services, and are offered a free physical examination.
- Assessments are completed to obtain information about the participant’s work history, skills and interests, talents, physical capabilities, need for supportive services, potential for performing community service assignments, and potential for transition to a regular job.
SCSEP Positions in Georgia
Georgia currently has 970 SCSEP positions. The Division of Aging Services, through sub-grantees, manages 198 state positions. The other 772 are national positions. You can find out more about program operators by visiting their websites below:
DAS SCSEP Sub-grantees:
National SCSEP Sponsors:
Local SCSEP Contact Information
To obtain a list of SCSEP providers nearest to you, call the Georgia Department of Human Services Division of Aging Services' toll-free statewide number below or click on the state directory displayed below.
SCSEP State Coordinator
Phone: (404) 657-5332